THE SPIRIT OF THE WORLD IN THE CHURCH
Bro. C. W. Hollis
Col. 3:6 “For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience.”
-Here the apostle Paul is writing to the children of God.
—Were living in a world where Satan is god (2Cor. 4:4)
-These same spirits will continue to get into the church if we let them!! That is why we as believers must stay holy and separate from sins and the lusts of the world where Satan is god. The Bible is strong about believers living holy lives separate from the world.
Jas. 4:4 “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
—The Bible teaches separation not segregation. This is where some Christians miss it. Some are practicing separation by segregating themselves, practically isolating themselves from the unsaved.
John 17:16-18 “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so I have also sent them into the world.” Jesus says we need to be in this world but not of it!
What is it? To pre-judge; To judge without the facts. To be detrimental to. A bias for or against something formed without sufficient basis. irrational intolerance of or hostility towards members of a certain race, group, or religion.
-It is founded on IGNORANCE and can only exist in IGNORANCE willfully or otherwise.
#1 IT’S A SERIOUS CHARGE!!! 1 Tim 5:21 charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.
- A similar one- to ‘t PREACH THE WORD” 2 Tim 4:1&2 ‘t‘ CHARGE thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.”
- A great sin to “PREACH ANOTHER GOSPEL” 1:6-9 marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let them be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.”
- Prejudice is a parallel sin- How Great/How Guilty.
- A juror must be free from prejudice/A competent witness must be too!! ! !
#2 WHAT PREJUDICE WILL DO FOR US!!
- Makes one disrespectful, angry, mocker, and condemning others. Acts 7:57 (‘Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord.” Acts 17:32 “And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.”
- Close ones eyes against knowledge and truth. 13:15 “For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should understand with their heart, and should be converted and I should heal them.” 2Cor 4:3-4 “But if our gospel be his, it is hid to them that are lost; In whom the god of this world (Satan) hath blinded the minds of them which have believed nor, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who IS the image of God, should shine unto them.
- It makes done dishonest/untruthful. Matt 28:11-15 It crucified Christ. Matt 27:21-26
#3 IS THE SIN OF SECTDOM.
- The one body. Rom 12:4-5 “For we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.” 12:20 (‘But now are they many members, yet but one body. Eph. 4:4 “There is one body, one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling.”
- Faith alone- excludes love, repentance, baptism, and obedience. What keeps us from seeing that? PREJUDICE!!
#4 HOW DO WE KEEP FREE FROM PREJUDICE?
- Do not exalt an opinion above faith.
- Do not just receive the truth from any source, pray to know the truth. John 8:32 “And ye Shali know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
So if we know all good gifts are from the Father and we know that he in fact gives us gifts you will see in
ICor 12:1-2 “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren I would not have you ignorant, Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carries away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.”
I BLAME THE PREACHERS FOR THE IGNORANT CHURCH TODAY. PEOPLE CAN ONLY GO AS FAR AS THEIR LEADER IS WILLING TO TAKE THEM!